Dallas, Texas Senior Vice President/Manager - Commercial Real Estate 3/09–7/20
- During my employment there was tremendous growth, with total assets of $5 billion at 3/31/09 increasing to $35.9 billion at 3/31/20. The total real estate assets comprised $1.9 billion at year-end 2009 and $6 billion at year-end 2019.
- Prepared Opportunity Assessment Memos (OAMs) to assess loan requests. OAMs include the proposed loan terms, borrower information, guarantor information, sponsor information, equity information, sources and uses, collateral overview, policy exceptions, tenant analysis, tenant rollover analysis, market analysis, submarket analysis, rental comparables, sales comparables, cash flow underwriting, strengths, weaknesses and mitigants of loan requests, etc.
- Prepared final Credit Approval Packages (CAPs) as well as renewals, extensions, modifications, upgrades, downgrades, and annual reviews.
- Worked on transactions involving the following property types: multi-family, student housing, senior housing (independent living, assisted living, and memory care), land, self-storage, retail, office, flex, industrial, and hotels.
- Worked on the following types of commercial real estate loans: construction loans (speculative, pre-leased, build-to-suits), acquisition loans (bridge loans, stabilized loans), refinance loans, note-on-note.
- Developed the following tools that are used by the bank: underwriting models, underwriting standards, underwriting quick guide, relationship debt schedule, guidance for analyzing construction budgets, and OAM and CAS templates.
- Reviewed single family residential appraisals for quality control.
- Promoted to Manager in 2012. Managed underwriting for the Dallas, Ft. Worth and Houston offices. This consists of nine employees who underwrite loan requests for relationship managers as well as relationship managers in other groups, such as Corporate Banking and Commercial Banking.
- Continued to perform all tasks of a Credit Underwriter mentioned above.
- Managed all deal flow including assigning requests to underwriters.
- Provided quarterly deal flow metrics to management.
- Interviewed, hired, trained and reviewed the work product of new employees as well as handled the performance reviews of existing employees.
- Updated all of the information each quarter for the bank’s Credit Policy Guidance Update (CPGU). The CPGU provides guidance to all bank employees in every market regarding the market rating, portfolio rating, maximum Loan-to-Cost/Loan-to-Value guidance, underwriting guidance and structure guidance for the various product types.
- Voting member and Secretary for Market Risk Real Estate Oversight Committee, which was formed in November of 2016 for the purpose of overseeing the various risks of the credit strategies, exposures and objectives of the bank’s Market Risk Real Estate lending functions, which includes the Commercial Real Estate Group, the Builder Finance Group, and the smaller market risk real estate transactions handled outside these defined groups.
- Managed vendors such as Argus, CoStar, Reis, NIC MAP, Source Strategies, MetroStudy, and RealPage Analytics (formerly MPF Research & Axiometrics).
Irving, Texas Associate/Sr. Underwriter 1/05 – 1/09
- Played role in development of company, including geographic focus, product sheets, process flow, acquiring research tools, development of loan summary/sizing tool for pre-committee meetings, development of final committee presentation, development of third-party engagement contracts, and research and acquisition of pipeline/loan tracking/underwriting tool.
- Performed screening, sizing, structuring, researching market data, drafting term sheet/application, site inspection and final underwriting of portfolio, conduit, mezzanine, bridge and A-B note structure loan transactions.
- Worked on transactions involving the following property types: multi-family, self-storage, retail, office, flex, industrial, and hotels.
- Performed initial screening of deals, initial sizing of deals, structuring deals, researching market data, drafting term sheet/application on bridge, mezzanine and preferred equity structured loan transactions.
- Performed all aspects of final underwriting, including site inspection, credit and background investigation, 3rd party engagement and review, and lease, estoppel and SNDA review.
- Worked on transactions with the following property types: multi-family, condo conversion, land, self-storage, retail, office, flex, industrial and hotels.
Irving, Texas Credit Analyst II 11/03 – 01/05
- Worked specifically in the COMPACT or small loan real estate program involving loan size ranging from $500M to $10MM.
- Performed initial sizing of more than 350 portfolio and CMBS commercial real estate loans.
- Performed underwriting and closing of portfolio and CMBS commercial real estate loans.
- Worked on transactions involving the following property types: multi-family, self-storage, retail, office, flex, and industrial.
- Roles included evaluation and determination of credit worthiness, analyze risk, and determine loan structure.
Dallas, Texas Analyst/Jr. Asset Manager 10/02 – 11/03
- Involved in foreclosure, management, evaluation and disposition of distressed assets.
- Worked on transactions involving the following property types: office, industrial, multi-family, retail, and hospitality (hotels and golf clubs).
- Developed and organized REO Group NPV models, leasing models, offering memorandum templates, business plan templates, etc.
- Spread financials in order to analyze operating history/trends, draft internal reporting memorandums, review appraisals, review environmental site assessments, review rent rolls, review and abstract leases, review monthly operating statements and discuss variances, hire property managers, hire listing brokers, hire leasing agents, perform market research, financial modeling, assist with budget preparation, perform property inspections, etc.
- Performed ARGUS analyses, Discounted Cash Flow Models, NPV Analyses, IRR Analyses, Return on Equity, etc.
Dallas, Texas Financial Analyst/Broker 10/99 – 10/02
- Involved in over 1,000,000 SF of office tenant representation transactions for clients
- Transactor on the accounts for more than 100,000 square feet of deals.
- Extensive analyst training (Financial Modeling, Market Research, Lease Abstracting, Lease Negotiations, Demographics, Due Diligence, Site Selection, etc).
- Developed and organized financial models, market survey templates, tour book templates, research templates, etc.
Experience with Backshop, ARGUS, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Access, Loan Wizard, AFS, ACBS, Nautilus, Moody’s, eSpatial, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe PDF Writer, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Distiller, CoStar, REIS, Realpage/MPF Research, Source Strategies, Smith Travel Research (STR), National Investment Center for the Seniors Housing & Care Industry (NIC Map), Real Capital Analytics (RCA).
Real Estate Salesperson License (Inactive), Texas Tech Alumnus, Sigma Chi Alumnus
- Texas Tech University – Lubbock, Texas
- Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Political Science and a Minor in Psychology
- Jesuit College Preparatory School
- Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) - Financial Analysis
- Risk Management Association - Analyzing Personal Financial Statements and Tax Returns
- Risk Management Association - Global Cash Flow I: Foundations in GCF Concepts
- Risk Management Association - Global Cash Flow II: A Real Estate Portfolio Perspective
- Risk Management Association - Structuring Commercial Loans I
- Risk Management Association - Structuring Commercial Loans II
- Risk Management Association – Real Estate Fundamentals in Commercial Lending
- Risk Management Association - Administering the Construction Loan Process
- Argus Valuation Discounted Cash Flow Software Training