Equipment Manager (EM) manages daily operations for the equipment procurement, inventory management and maintenance function. Tracks the records, licenses, inspections, warrantees, and service agreements for the organization’s equipment and tools.
Being an Equipment Manager (EM) minimizes organizational cost through product standardization and tracking. Tracks equipment quality throughout the product lifetime and makes recommendations for alternatives if needed.
Tracking will be done in Excel with prepopulated sheets or new ones created, if needed. Training for each item should be done prior to EM taking over responsibilities.
Vehicle maintenance skills are preferred such as oil changes, tire repairs, etc.
All registration and insurance for every vehicle, equipment, trailer must be tracked carefully and thoroughly. EM is responsible for having all updated information for each vehicle.
- Report all vehicle accidents.
- Schedule repairs.
- Track Insurance Cards in each vehicle.
- Monthly inspections and follow up with drivers.
Maintain Inventory of Asset & Locations
- Go to site location often to check inventory/equipment.
EM is responsible for keeping this envelope up-to-date and having proper documentation for any used or unused equipment. Each vehicle should have the following documentational envelope in each glove box:
- Accident Report
- Vehicle Policy that they have signed (at hire).
- Emergency Contact information for company contact.
- What tools are in there and where.
- DOT requirements and driver DOT certified if needed.
Keep up with all the UDOT policies.
- Track UDOT Tags and Vehicles.
- Knowledge of Requirements and when needed on vehicles.
Program used to monitor and track all company vehicles.
- Vehicle Tracking.
- Maintain Vehicles.
- Track Drivers and Driver’s License information.
- Receive alerts and deal with issues.
Follow up with all equipment locations and upkeep on maintenance/safety. Do monthly inspections following up with locations and condition of equipment small and large.
- Who’s Certified to Operate.
- Schedule & Track Maintenance.
- Repairs and Upkeep.
- Arrange Transportation of Equipment.
Any driver must have a safety course ensuring they can properly operate the vehicle and trailer. Trailers and other “like” equipment must be tracked and logged as they are taken from location to location:
- Maintain trailers.
- Schedule & Track Maintenance.
- Registration Renewals.
- Repairs Documented and Upkeep.
All tools should have asset tags on them and logged in spreadsheets. The location should be noted, and monthly inspections should be done to ensure all tools and materials are in the correct place.
- Inventory tags on all tools and electronics.
- Asset tags on everything.
- Tablets, computers, phones, etc. all should have asset tags.
- Transform forms filled out any time a transfer occurs.
All invoices (oil changes, tires, registration, etc.) should be monitored and approved when submitted. Approvals should have notes with vehicle information along with any other details needed for approval. Any jobs that may need to be billed must be turned into accounting before the 5th of each month.
Order, track, and send billing sheet to the Accounting Department for job specifics.
A spreadsheet should be created for each job site including all equipment such as tools, trailers, trucks, etc. on site. Monthly inventory reports should be submitted.
All properties (the compound, main office, etc.) should have inventory list for what is ordered and used for sites to track:
- Track surplus supplies being billed to other jobs.
- Track inventory & pricing to bill jobs.
- Loss/Repairs tracked for losses due to lack of maintenance and theft of tools.
Train and help all other employees about who to contact if there are issues with any piece of equipment and taking care of their vehicles such as what’s listed below:
- Taking vehicles in for oil changes & repairs
- Purchase equipment (tie downs, towing items, first aid kits, etc.) for vehicles and where to send receipts.
- Track equipment purchased for vehicles.
- Vehicle policy.
- CC tool Purchase (over $2500.00) Keep track & monitor.