Reporting to the Director of Greenhouse Operations, the Head Grower will be responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the cultural program ensuring successful crops in production through to harvest in a safe environment. Working closely with the Production Manager within the greenhouse; the Head Grower will manage the grower teams, IPM teams and all areas pertaining to crop health while managing the overall costs related to the growing of plants.
- Coordination of production schedule including communicating changes due to plant needs.
- Ensure Production Schedules are suitable to Plant needs and are attainable from an Agronomic view.
- Responsible for review and revisions of all SOP’s related to greenhouse operations.
- Ensure all direct reports are trained and in compliance with all relevant SOP’s, Best practices, and Fertigation.
- Monitor and document plant development and communicate with the Director of Greenhouse Operations and/or Master Horticulturist as needed.
- Provide leadership for problem and conflict resolution.
- Monitor, oversee, and control the environment and fertigation using the Priva Operating System.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and compliant workplace.
- Keep the Best Practice Document accurate.
- Ensure compliance under GACP regulations and strive for GAP/GMP compliance where possible.
- Provide a weekly Summary of Crop Status to the Director of Greenhouse Operations/Master Horticulturist.
- Provide /propose operational improvements related to Plant Health.
- Work closely with the Production Manager to reach the objectives of the department.
- Perform any other tasks as required by the Director of Greenhouse Operations.
- Weekend work and Shift Work may be required.
- Must have a Degree (diploma or higher) in Horticulture.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years work experience in large scale (>4 hectares) crop production.
- Experience in floriculture and/or management of multiple and diverse crop rotations
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office Applications.
- Proven expertise encompassing greenhouse system design, plant nutrition, crop and pest management, greenhouse IT systems, software sensors and controls.
- Strong inventory and documentation skills; experience with Global GAP programs considered an asset.
- Conflict resolution skills; strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Can work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to speak English & Portuguese is considered an asset.