Product Development (R&D)
The Director of New Product Development is responsible for all aspects of developing new and innovative cannabis-based products including identifying opportunities for new products and line extensions, conducting research, developing plans, creating prototypes, designing manufacturing practices for them, developing manufacturing SOPs and quality requirements, and collaborating to ensure we can efficiently and effectively manufacture the products in multiple locations. The Director also will collaborate with the sales, marketing, and sales operations teams to ensure messaging is accurate and compelling and that new products are launched successfully.
- Generate ideas, review feasibility, and conduct proof of principle activities that answer market needs and reasonably translate into valuable cannabis products or services.
- Facilitate brainstorming sessions to generate unique new product ideas.
- Understand the competitive landscape and focus on market trends, end-user processes, and business strategies that can be converted into new or enriched innovative product concepts or systems.
- Serve as a new product thought-leader for The Company through continual Research and Development, assessing and analyzing market and consumer trends, leading the development of prototypes, and evaluating the priority and feasibility of new product concepts.
- Drive the new product development process from concept through launch, including research, concept development, project management, presentation, and final execution.
- Manage new product development projects including estimating costs, creating a team environment, establishing milestones and technical targets, scheduling, and tracking progress, and escalating issues toward resolution.
- Collaborate cross functionally to assist and/or fulfill day-to-day product development initiatives and communicate effectively across departments to relay project updates and changes.
- Set up and manage project management tools and checklists to keep track of projects and key product information.
- Partner with marketing and sales to develop business cases for new products; build performance metrics to help advise future development strategies.
- Contribute to strategic planning, direction, and goal setting.
- Collaborate and communicate with the executive team to ensure products and timelines meet internal expectations.
- Help institutionalize a culture of innovation within the organization.
- Create and manage IP for new products, formulas and/or processes.
- College degree in science, business, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience in product development within consumer-packaged goods, food and beverage, beauty, health and wellness or pharmaceuticals firm preferred.
- Cannabis product development highly preferred.
- Successful track record of delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Experience with research to support development.
- Experience conducting market research and focus groups.
- Strong communication, teamwork, collaboration, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Creative-minded and strong problem-solving ability.
- Decisive with strong bias for action.
- Flexible, adaptive to change.
- Knowledge of food safety and labeling requirements preferred.
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching; using hands/fingers to touch objects, tools, parts, or controls.
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds and/or utilizing a hand dolly or forklift for other tasks.
- Must have stamina to work long hours and overtime if assigned.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, which may include weekends, holidays, evenings, and/or varying shifts.
- Travel required.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.