VP of Cultivation
The client is a Craft Cannabis Cultivation Operation in Mendocino County, CA. They're an established brand, and pride themselves on having a culture built around using sustainable and organically based methods to grow premium, clean green certified flower on seven proprietary farms, and are scaling significantly in the months ahead. We’re looking for an Industrial-style Farmer with Row Cropping experience on the Agriculture or Hemp side, and a few years of Sun Grown & Greenhouse Cannabis experience. We’re offering a Competitive Salary Plus Bonus, Full Health Benefits, and Private Equity Shares.
Essential functions may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Employee may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks. Reasonable accommodations, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, will be made when possible.
The VP of Cultivation's mission is to direct all Cultivation teams by providing a leadership presence on all aspects of cultivation in each location. This role provides both strategy and day-to-day operational leadership by overseeing and supporting the team at each stage of cultivation; improving operational efficiencies; organizing decisions and strategies in detailed plans presented and approved by CEO and COO in a timely manner; and working with company leadership on monthly, quarterly, annual plans and goals.
The VP of Cultivation must have a good working relationship with the Heads of Cultivation, Cultivation Managers and Cultivation Techs. The VP of Cultivation is responsible to analyze and develop action plans to find production and cost efficiencies. Other responsibilities include helping develop cultivation budgets with the CEO and COO; maintaining cultivation budgets with Heads of Cultivations; reporting on cultivation budget actual vs. budget; oversee recruiting and hiring appropriately to ensure operation is always staffed per the budget; effectively manage the operation; always ensuring consistency and compliance; and ensure the individual skills of the team are utilized effectively.
The VP of Cultivation will be accountable for overseeing cultivation operations including development of new genetic varieties, nursery propagation and harvesting and curing of flower during multiple production cycles annually.
This position will report directly to and work closely with CEO and COO on forecasting production yields, implementing operational processes, ensuring compliance with regulations, and maximizing successful harvests of the most commercially desirable varieties.
- Maintain a constant, in person leadership and support presence in the cultivation facilities
- Work closely with executive team to develop goals for genetics, propagation, and cultivation
- Assemble and manage genetic, propagation and cultivation teams to successfully grow, harvest and cure commercial flower harvests of desirable varieties
- Responsible for updating and improving SOPs to continually gain efficiency in production and remain in compliance with changing regulations
- Responsible for monitoring and controlling actual vs. budget performance on a weekly basis, reacting to unfavorable events by providing solutions
- Successfully design and implement data-capturing and reporting processes to accurately convey cultivation operations performance to executive team
- Maintain a strong focus on improvement of quality, scale, and efficiency of operations
- Source and implement equipment and technology solutions to improve operational efficiency and data analysis
- Develop a genetics program that identifies best phenotypes for reproduction based on quality of genetics and market desirability
- Develop nutrient regiments and SOPs
- Communicate effectively with wholesale sales team to convey up-to-date stock for sale and projections for availability of stock currently in production while staying apprised of market conditions
- Establish operational policies that promote company vision KEY COMPETENCIES
- Strong leadership track record with 5+ years of experience in operations, propagation, breeding and cultivation of cannabis
- Excellent organizational, reporting and leadership abilities
- Successful history of building teams of various experience levels
- Willing to navigate between strategy and operational execution - must be willing to roll up your sleeves and get in the weeds
- Project management and implementation skills
- Basic analytical skills and experience defining and reporting on performance metrics and process improvement
- Ability to directly perform data analysis to clearly report the status of the facilities and create operational recommendations
- Extensive understanding of the cannabis industry
- Ability to navigate changing priorities with minimal information and use good judgment in stressful situations
- Flexibility, adaptability, and a relentlessly positive attitude
- Experience working within strict regulations and compliance preferred
- Ability to travel frequently to any state we operate in on a continual and consistent basis
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Google Docs
Work is performed in a normal warehouse environment with exposure to outdoor temperatures. The employee's working conditions are moderately noisy. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office and setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to speak and hear; to travel to other locations using various modes of private and commercial transportation; to verbally communicate to exchange information. While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.