AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Strategic Planning & Execution
- P&L Responsibility
- Financial Benchmarking
- Budget Responsibility & Controls
- Cost Accounting
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Accounting Controls & Compliance
- Cash Flow Management
- Operations Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resources Management
- New Business Development
- Multi-Site Operations Management
- Consensus building & Teaming
- Profitability Improvement
Chief Financial Officer Chicago, IL November 2013 to Present
This started out as a contract employment position in 2009 but converted into a full-time permanent position.
- Responsible for financial management of three related business units including month-end close and consolidation of financial reports, budgets, key figure reports, reports to the bank, and oversight of the financial audit & 401 (k) audit from an independent accounting firm.
- Oversee all payroll and related items, employee training programs, insurance, IT, and administrative areas.
- Streamlined payroll system through automation providing savings of approx. $30,000 annually.
- Revised and strengthened the accounting controls and cash management controls of all three companies. Implemented a “Positive Pay” program with the bank to ensure all payments are secure. Responsible for financial compliance with GAAP and tax and government regulations.
- Responsible for annual strategic planning and budgeting process with clear 5 year and annual targets
- Responsible for performance optimization, for example implemented actions to improve operations leading to a savings of $148,000 annually.
- Oversaw negotiations with vendors to reduce costs on expense items resulting in cost savings on office machines and energy contracts.
- Responsible for the implementation of a virtual document management system in the company which reduced time for processing documents, reduced cost by eliminating paper and printing supplies, and provided an easy-to-use document management system.
- Responsible for design and implementation, monitoring and improvement of a “Gainshare Program” which provides bonuses to employees on a monthly basis for performance optimization and efficiency improvements in production. The company benefits through productivity improvement, higher quality and fewer rejects, and better attendance by employees.
- Responsible for Job-Cost reporting and monitoring. Low margin jobs are analyzed weekly which led to a 2% gain in gross margin.
- Responsible for Sales Process Improvements. Organized a weekly sales meeting where we monitor sales metrics to insure proper focus on projects and reporting. Revenues have increased nearly 3 times since this was implemented.
- Member of the team working with the owner to acquire, negotiate with the bank, and do the leasehold improvements on a 68,000 sq ft production facility.
- Oversee the effort related to training credits and energy efficiency credits available from various government and utility sponsored programs.
Chief Financial Officer (Contractor) Crystal Lake, Illinois, 2009 - 2013.
Focused on financial management, sales & marketing execution, cash management practices, financial analysis, and operational efficiency.
- Contract CFO for the consolidated businesses Orion Industries, Dimension Bond, Surface Solutions Group a company applying lubricious coatings – 2009 through Nov 2013. This was a full-time position.
- Contract CFO for Yumz Frozen Yogurt a retail frozen yogurt franchisor
- Contract CFO for Sunburst Shutters a marketer of in-home shutters and window
- Contract CFO for EMSI, a company in payroll and employment services
- Implemented a market focused sales/marketing plan directed at target industries where the company has core competence, good margins and many successes resulting in increased sales of about 9%
- Implemented a production planning tool enabling the company to streamline its staff and save about $78,000 annually.
- Negotiated technology licensing agreement for a client in an industry where it does not do business with potential to generate $100,000 annually.
- Revitalized a company’s job costing system and drove improvement in financial analysis. Based on my analysis, management eliminated unprofitable jobs improving bottom line performance.
- Implemented a strong credit and collections program which reduced the outstanding past due receivables by 20%.
- Developed and Implemented 5-year strategic business plan providing clear focus on markets, targets, system of accountability and measurement within the organization.
Owner / President of Three (3) Franchise Locations Crystal Lake, Illinois, March 2007 – 2016
Responsible for start-up and operation of franchise locations. Accomplishments include:
- Site selection, negotiation, construction, installing equipment and facilities, and startup of each location
- Drove the company to profitability within 1 year
- Achieved exceptional membership start-up and growth for the company when compared to other Snap Fitness franchises. This was accomplished through planning, implementation, and execution of marketing and advertising plans as well as exceptional customer service.
President Elgin, Illinois, January 2004-March 2007
Responsibility for Full P&L management of the operation of 15 production sites in the U.S. and 1 in Canada with profitable operating revenues of $55M annually, over 400 employees, and 5000 customers. Accomplishments include:
- In a stagnant and shrinking market, produced growth (without acquisition) of 25% in annual revenues over a three-year period.
- Improved profitability by over 40% during my tenure, to the best level in at least eight years.
- Opened six new production sites in the US and Canada providing faster service to customers and expanded market penetration
- Restructured the company for profitability, shutting down two underperforming sites resulting in 2% gain in EBIT
- Negotiated the acquisition of, closed, and integrated our second-largest competitor. This generated a revenue increase of 20% annually. Retained 94% of the customer base as well as the key talents of the organization.
- Improved efficiency in operations by over 20% in a three-year period through streamlining processes and reducing labor
- Improved the organizational culture and team building resulting in employee turnover dropping from 10% per year to 3% per year.
Vice-President/General Manager Phoenix, Arizona 1995-2003 (and Director of Sales 1996-1998)
P&L Responsibility for ESEC operations in North America overseeing an operation of $40M+ in annual revenues and over 50 people, specific responsibility for two primary Global Accounts, member of the international management team. Accomplishments include:
- Produced growth in sales from $10M annually to over $40M.
- Met or exceeded profitability targets of the company generating EBIT of 10% annually.
- Improved employee morale resulting in employee turnover of less than 5% annually.
- Implemented key account management leading to $10M annually in sales from the two largest worldwide key accounts.
- Successfully integrated the product lines, and personnel from an acquired company into our organization resulting in 25% growth in revenue and streamlined cost structure by elimination of common processes and functions.
Interim General Manager Shanghai, China Sept 2002- June 2003.
- Set a clear direction for the company with a clear focus on major customers resulting in 10% increase in sales.
- Stabilized the organization, and improved morale resulting in less turn-over. Won clear acceptance and approval from the staff in spite of the fact I was a temporary manager and from a foreign country.
- Developed a structured management team with clear targets for improvement and growth.
- Established clear targets and responsibilities
Vice-President of Finance, Director of Finance & Administration 1989-1995.
- Responsibilities include management of all financial functions of the organization including order processing, A/R, A/P, general ledger, financial reporting, budgets, and payroll as well as commercial contract review and negotiation.
- Created procedures to properly administer the activities of the organization such as expense guidelines, activity reporting, cost accounting, terms & conditions of sale, etc.
- Completed financial and operations analysis of a company to be acquired and worked with existing management to successfully integrate it.
- Set-up inter-company contracts, which met the requirements of arms-length agreements for IRS purposes.
- Completed special assignment to correct financial reporting and revitalize the finance team in the Singapore operations.
- Bachelor of Science Degree
- Major: Business Management with an emphasis in Marketing
- Minor: Accounting and Economics.
- Accounting courses needed to qualify for the CPA examination.
- EXED 3 – A global management training course studying various international business models and a team project.
- Executive Education – Global Leadership Certificate
- Admitted as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in the State of Arizona, April 1992.
- Additional Languages: Japanese